The Jharkhand protest has entered a new phase, where students' unaddressed demands have taken a more confrontational and volatile form. Effigies of Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi were burned on August 16, 2026, by protesting students and job aspirants across district headquarters in Jharkhand, marking the 23rd day of the ongoing student agitation. Following the incident, the state government has called the protesters for another round of talks, after previous attempts to resolve the standoff remained unsuccessful.
Unresolved Demands Drive Escalation
After the mass protest in Ranchi on July 29, a series of incidents have continued to intensify the student agitation. From Devendra Nath Mahto’s hunger strike to the recent burning of political effigies, each incident has reflected growing frustration among the protesting students and job aspirants. At its core, the anger stems from the students’ unresolved demands and continued dissatisfaction with the government’s attempts at dialogue.
The main demands of the protesters include the cancellation of the 14th JPSC Combined Preliminary Examination, a CBI probe into alleged irregularities and action against those responsible, along with greater transparency in the recruitment process. The latest turn in the agitation came on August 16, when students and job aspirants gathered across district headquarters and burnt the effigies of Hemant Soren and Rahul Gandhi. What had largely been a protest over recruitment exams now began drawing sharper attention for its direct expression of anger towards the state’s political leadership.

Talks to Determine Protesters’ Next Step
Following the incident, the state government called the protesting students for another round of talks on August 17, with the students set to attend alongside their legal advisers. The students had earlier decided to stage a gherao at Chief Minister Hemant Soren’s residence on August 20, but are now waiting for the outcome of the talks before deciding whether to go ahead with the planned protest. The decision on whether to proceed with the planned gherao will also take into consideration the health of Devendra Nath Mahto and other students currently on hunger strike.
"The protesters have been invited for talks on August 17 at 2 pm. The students have been offered the proposal to participate in the discussions along with their legal advisor," the official said.
What Comes Next?
The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, a prominent student body spearheading the agitation, said the protesters have accepted the government’s proposal for a fresh round of talks at the State Guest House on August 17, but remain firm on their demands. Now whether the planned protest goes ahead will depend on the outcome of the talks, leaving the next phase of the 23-day agitation uncertain.
Also read: Jharkhand Protest Spirals as 100+ ABVP Workers Face Detention